Spring and symbolism

Well it is officially spring now. A time of symbolic re-birth and renewal.

With that I also had my first appointment with my counselor. We have talked twice on the phone and I forwarded him materials from this blog, my journals and such.

It  was odd. He feels that my experiences may qualify as PTSD and PTSD onset SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder). While I can see some of the logic, I get very anxious in crowds and borderline violent when people invade my personal space. When I pull back and they press further, it get much much worse. That's why I retreat to my room on my time off, I don't enjoy going out as I once did, and when it comes to ordering out, I choose drive thru whenever I ac. But I am withholding my judgement til later.

Another St. Patrick's day is down and in the books. they get easier, for those that do not know that was our anniversary. Even though I think only one went off halfway decent...the rest were unqualified disasters during our time together. But it always seems to remind me of her.

In the end I guess it comes down to the last message I got. I am no longer cared for or respected. How hard I fought and what I sacrificed is irrelevant. Never mind she herself admitted she could never endure what she put me through and agreed no one else would fight as long or as hard as I did. I do have to thank her for it though. It was, without a doubt, the first bit of pure truth I got from her in a very, very long time. For that one moment, her words EXACTLY matched her actions, and that is rare.

Those statements is what I need to hold onto. That is what I need to remember. The knowledge of her dating again isn't nearly as earth shattering as I thought it would be. Because, and this ties into an earlier post...in all honesty, we are all replaceable. No matter what anyone else might say. Maybe not an exact 1 to 1 fit, but we can all be replaced. I know she has done it to me on several occasions. And she has this beautiful gift of compartmentalization and an uncanny ability to 'bounce back'.  I applaud her for it.

There are moments when I think this may be the best thing that's happened to me, and other moments where I am completely lost. The counselor said that is completely natural. When we are in a given situation, even a very bad one, for an extended length of time, it becomes....normal.

That will be the hardest, the memory triggers, after all the time there are a TON of things that trigger memories, from the things we've exchanged (which I can thankfully say I have gotten completely rid of now, every last scrap...and with good reason...will touch on that later)...to places, shows, music, scents, and even foods. All of them hold a trigger of some sort. From Buffalo Wild Wings, Doctor Who marathons, to Red Lobster & Wal-mart shopping...long story.

I guess the key to healing and moving on is being able to acknowledge the importance of a memory, without succumbing to the emotion tied to it. I think when you're there...THAT is the turning point. When you can look back, smile, and look away without a pang or pain. That and creating NEW memories....that depend on no one but myself.

Oh...and good news, I have my list of places narrowed down to 2 and submitted applications to them both. Moving will definitely help as well. Alot of memories here. A new place that is mine and mine alone, where I can make new memories, freed from the ghosts of the past will be a big step....that and Boxer day!!!!

And....that can be a good thing, can't it? Could use one in the 'Win' column....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Politics and musings

Looking back....and forward?

An Answer...carryover from my other account...porting directly to this one now